Thursday, May 20, 2010

The "Power Port" May 18th 2010





Tuesday May 18th I had surgery for a port placement. If you are unsure of what a "power port" is, please let me explain. A port is a small device which is surgically implanted completely beneath your skin. The port connects to a small tube (catheter) which is inserted inside one of your arteries which delivers blood to your heart. This is necessary because chemo is composed of very strong drugs that can destroy the skin and veins in your arm. Most cancer patients get a port. This triangle thing sticking out of my skin looks scary....like a broken bone. I took some pictures to show what the port looks like after two days of surgery. Also, along with this port you get a "power port" discharge packet. The packet includes an identification card, identification bracelet, key ring, patient guide, and companion checklist. It's serious stuff. I'm a little nervous about my first poke in the new "power port".....I see many Xanax in my future!

1 comment:

  1. I need a Xanex just to look at this photo! You are seriously brave. Praying for you all the time.

    ReplyDelete